There are five key considerations we should take into account as we either work with media in our learning and teaching process or design learning using media. The relative importance of each of these depends on the level, context and nature of the module or programme but all should need to be reflected in any learning design. These five are:
- Students: orientation and disposition to learning with and through media.
- Staff: abilities to work with media. Their abilities to identify appropriate media and manipulate it as appropriate.
- Professional needs: present and future demands of the professional context in using media appropriately.
- Content & Resources: Identifying existing, or creating, effective media resources for learning.
- Institutional Choices: The constraints and opportunities for learning designers to develop media.